Your second grade teachers
Mrs. Bowker and Mrs. Keane
Second Grade Info
Friday Folders and Homework
Friday Folders: Friday folders are sent home on Fridays or on the last day of school for the week. On the cover of the Friday folder is a place for you to sign and make a comment if you need to. There will be notices and students’ finished work in the folders. This could be a wonderful time for you and your child to sit and share what we have been doing in school.
Homework: Homework folders are sent home on Mondays (or the first day of the school week) for the week. They are due back on Friday. We know how busy schedules can be with parent work and after school activities for the students. You can choose which nights are best for you and your child. If your child finishes the homework early they may bring it in before Friday, but please keep the spelling word list at home to practice. There will usually be spelling and math for homework. It is important that your child continue to be reading every night. If you are in need of any books at your child’s level please let us know. In addition to weekly homework, unfinished class work may go home any day of the week to be completed and returned. We will continue with our Every Day Math program this year and we will be sending home parent letters in the homework folder for each new unit.
Social Studies, Science, and Second Step
In Social Studies we just finished our first unit on rules and laws. We will begin a science unit on weather next. In addition to our science and social studies units, the students participate in Second Step. Second Step is a social and academic skill building program.
In Social Studies we will be learning about Geography and Mapping skills
In Science we will be learning about the Solar System.
- No School November 11th in observance of Veteran’s Day
- Fire Prevention on November 9th and 10th
- PTA Meeting November 17th at 6 PM
- Thanksgiving feast November 18
- Thanksgiving Break November 23-25
- Music concert December 21 at 6:30
- We are collecting non-perishable food for Feed The Thousands-through Dec. 9
- There is a bin in the office to collect toys for Toys for Kids-through Dec. 12
- December 23 early release day-Begin holiday break
Second Grade Happenings
We are currently doing AIMS-WEB assessments for reading fluency and math. We will begin MAP testing the week of September 19th. It is important for your child to get plenty of rest and eat a filling, healthy breakfast.
- Delayed start: September 20- Students should arrive at 10:30, there will be no breakfast.
- PTA Ice Cream Social: Wednesday, September 21 at 6:00pm in the cafeteria.
- No school October 10-Teacher Workshop Day