Mrs. Snide, Mrs. Carrier, Miss Martel
We will finish Unit 1 of our reading program at the end of October. In November we will start Unit 2. We will work with the stories
Target Skill: Character
Dig, Dig, Digging
Target Skill : Classify and Categorize
Life in an Ocean
Target Skill: Compare and Contrast
Target Skill : Setting
Animal Babies in Grasslands
Target Skill: Main Idea
High Frequency Words: have, is, yes, no, we, my, like
Home to School Connection: Please practice the high frequency words that have been introduced at this point in the school year.Common Core Standard RF.K.3c Read high frequency words by sight.
- The Everyday Math program is used school wide.
- During the months of October/November students will be exposed to and explore a variety of math concepts throughout the day.
- Some concepts that will be reinforced during the months of October and November are coin recognition, recognizing numbers, number relationships, spatial vocabulary, and tricky teens.
Home to School Connection: We encourage you to practice having your child recognize and write numbers 1-20, counting forward and backwards from various numbers, and comparing numbers.
Common Core Standard
K.CC.2 Counting forward beginning from a given number
K.CC.4 Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities
K.CC.4A.B.C Understanding the sequence of numbers, numbers tell the number of objects, and number quantity means one larger
- Students are learning letter sounds, and learning to correctly form lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Having the child write their name beginning with an uppercase letter and the rest of the letters lowercase is our goal for this month.
- Children are now putting letters and sounds together to create CVC words
Home to School Connection: We encourage you to practice letter writing with your child.
- The months of October and November consist of place in the world, holidays and customs, and wants and needs.
- The Kindergarten science program encourages children to explore, observe, experiment and make predictions about the world in which they live. A variety of resources and strategies are used to teach these concepts. The focuses of these months will be the seasons, fire prevention, trees, and weather.
- The Kindergarten Second Step program teaches children about the importance of being a good learner, family member and friend.
- The program teaches children strategies that can be used to handle situations that they will encounter within their daily lives.
- October and November lessons are; being assertive and recognizing their own and others feelings
October Dates to Remember
October 15th is the PTA Color-Thon 9:30am at Heritage Park
October 20th HASP Lights On! 4-7pm
Literacy Parade October 31st at 1:45